1953 Ferrari 375 MM Pinin Farina Spider
This 375 MM Pinin Farina Spider had a winning early racing life in South America, capturing two Argentine Sports Car Championships in 1954-55 – this outstanding sports racing Ferrari is presented in immaculate order freshly restored by Ferrari Classiche.
The epitome of the glorious era when customers could access the latest racing equipment, this 375 MM boasted the huge new 4.5L Lampredi V-12 inspired by the large capacity GP engine and that used in the 375 America. Of 30 375 MM produced (26 plus 4 converted 340 MM), nearly all were clothed by Pinin Farina, this being only the second Spider built. Alongside works cars, customers included the great Luigi Chinetti, tycoon racer Tony Parravano, and the Emperor Bao Dai. Originally designated 0362 AM, the build sheet shows she was renumbered 0374 AM at the factory, seemingly to meet an impending deadline to race.
Delivered new to racer and Olympic medallist Enrique Diaz Saenz Valiente in Argentina, chassis 0374 AM made her competition debut in the 1,000 km of Bueno Aires on 24 January 1954, piloted by racers José Maria Ibáñez and Ignacio Janices – forming up alongside greats like “Fon” de Portago, Louis Rosier, Masten Gregory and Carroll Shelby. Through the 1957 season, she would deliver no less than 11 wins and 18 podiums in the special atmosphere of South American competition.
First owner Diaz Saenz Valiente amassed seven wins in ‘54 on his way to the championship, in a romantic list of events. This included an epic run in the long-distance Turismo Carretera road race, a 736 km endurance race over rough roads, covered at an average speed of over 210 kph. An aircraft hired to scatter birds away from the charging Ferrari was unsuccessful because the aircraft was just too slow. Thus the promise shown at Buenos Aires was fulfilled, where the 375 MM had led through half distance, retiring after an off at the Avenida de la Paz roundabout, driver Janices emerging unscathed.
Sold via Castro Cranwell to Cesar Rivero and Raul Najurieta, the latter enjoyed much success in 1955, besting former owner Diaz Saenz Valiente to claim a second Argentine championship for 0374 AM. While the 500 Miles of Argentina at Rafaela in June 1956 brought a final victory, by this time the 375 MM was aging, and in the way of old race cars she faded from the scene.
Found in Montevideo in 1983, 0374 AM returned to Italy and entered the ownership of collector Count Vittorio Zanon di Valgiurata, then president of the Automotoclub Storico Italiano. After a two-year restoration effort, Zanon di Valgiurata ran the completed Ferrari in the 1987 Mille Miglia.
Subsequently this 375 MM has been held by eminent collectors in Japan and America, including Yoshiyuki Hayashi and Yoshiho Matsuda (owner of the Ferrari Museum of Art), and Ferrari enthusiast and telecoms magnate John McCaw. Over many years she has appeared at events including the Goodwood Revival, Amelia Island, the Cavallino Classic and more.
Her current owner commissioned an exacting restoration with Ferrari Classiche, which is newly completed, and she will be delivered with a fresh Red Book certification. In honour of her early history under the Sol de Mayo flag, she is presented in Argentina’s blu / giallo racing livery.
Offering an unforgettable taste of Ferrari’s early greatness, the spine-tingling sound of her Lampredi V-12 will be a passport to new chapters at all of the world’s greatest motoring events.