- 405’s first outing was with the works Audi Sport Team Joest at the Le Mans Test in April where the R8 clocked the quickest time during the test.
- Achieved pole position, fastest lap and 2ndoverall in the 2000 Le Mans 24 Hours, Driven my Alan Mc Nish, Stéphane Ortelli and Laurent Aiello.
- After Le Mans Audi Sport Team Joest handed 405 over to the other works team Audi Sport North America, before moving to America Frank Biela and Emanuelle Pirro took 3rdplace in the Nürburgring 1,000 Kms.
- Once in America and competing in the ALMS series 405 took numerous podiums with the team drivers Biela and Pirro. A guest appearance from Audi legend Tom Kristensen secured the Audi a 2ndplace finish in the Petit Le Mans.
- Campaigned for Champion racing in 2001 ALMS series, driven by Andy Wallace, Johnny Herbert, Ralf Kelleners and Dorsey Schroeder, another successful season with a 3rdat Sebring and numerous other podium finishes.
Developed for the 2000 Le Mans 24 Hours the new Audi R8 was designed in house by Wolfgang Appel and Michael Pfadenhauer. Built by Dallara the R8 succeeded where the previous R8R model had failed; 1st2ndand 3rdplaces in Le Mans, a statement indeed. Powered by a 3.6 Litre V8 twin-turbo unit and producing around 600bhp the R8 went on to dominate the ALMS series, scoring a 1stand 2ndon the opening race at Sebring.