Founded in 1931 in Henley-on-Thames, Squire Motors was the ambitious creation of an equally ambitious twenty-one year old, Adrian Squire. Having draughted ideas for an elegant 1½-Litre tourer at just fourteen, less than a decade later he was producing machines to rival contemporary Bugattis and Alfas.
No more than a dozen Squires were built, but with their impressive top speeds and dazzling braking performance (stopping from 30mph in less than 10m) the lightweight Squire encapsulated the road-going Grand Prix racers of the era. Each car sold came with the guarantee that it had reached 100mph at the legendary Brooklands circuit.
JB8 776 was the sixth Squire created, and the only lightweight example ever built. The Squire’s 1,496cc inline-four OHC engine was overhauled and rebuilt by the previous long-term owner and is comfortably capable of propelling the head-turning two-seater to the promised 100mph, even over considerable distance.
From the 1936 RAC Rally and VSCC events to two successfully completed Mille Miglias, JB8 776 has enjoyed the longest and most successful sporting career of any Squire. Its performance, drivability and rarity makes it an appealing entry for some of the most selective and prestigious automotive events across the globe.