1954 Jaguar XK120 Competition
RJH 400, chassis S661165, was acquired new by Eric Haddon in February 1954. This XK120, one of the very last built, was prepared for competition in-house, by Jaguars extremely successful Works department.
'Works' deemed a weakness on the standard XK's to be the low, dual exhaust system, so designed a system for RJH 400 whereby the exhaust pipes exit through two holes in the rear wing. A sump guard was fitted, the suspension modified and numerous C-Type specification additions were fitted including a close ratio gearbox. Bonnet louvres were installed, along with an outside filler cap, aluminium fuel tank and a radiator blind. Upon completion, rally entries were handled by 'Lofty' England no less.
The first outing for RJH 400 was the notoriously challenging Tulip Rally. The route consisted of 2,100 miles and 211 cars lined up on the start line. In what was rumoured to be an immensely challenging year, Haddon, along with his co-driver, Charles Vivian, bought RJH 400 home to win second in class - an impressive achievement for their first outing with the car.
Next up was the famed 'Coupe des Alpes', where Haddon & Vivian were entered in RJH 400 and successfully won the Unlimited Class.
After such a triumphant competition career, Haddon subsequently sold RJH 400 to Dr Watchman of Liverpool, who used the car around the streets of Liverpool until 1973. Three further UK owners followed, before Mr Robert Clark, from New Zealand purchased the car in 1994 and imported it to New Zealand. RJH 400 was in Clark's ownership until the currant owner purchased it in 2015.
In current ownership, RJH 400 has been sympathetically restored by marque specialists in the UK and returned to its important 'Coupe des Alpes' specification. This highly significant, ex-Works, sports racing Jaguar, is eligible for the Mille Miglia and numerous important road and rally events.